Diabetes is a chronic disease that occurs either when the pancreas does not produce enough insulin or when the body cannot effectively use the insulin it produces.
According to a report published by W.H.O (World Health Organization), India has one of the highest numbers of diabetes patients in the world. At least one diabetes patient is found in every ten adults. This ratio has been rising day by day.
Reasons for diabetes:
Indians are at higher risk of inheriting diabetes and our unhealthy lifestyle adds more risk.
Type 2 diabetes caused due to genetics as well as unhealthy lifestyle. Every diabetic patient is different from one another. Each person will be prescribed different medicines along with different dosages. But it’s very important for a diabetic patient to follow a proper regime of healthy diet and exercise.
Treatment of diabetes involves diet and physical activity along with lowering blood glucose and the levels of other known risk factors that damage blood vessels.
- Generally, we have a high intake of carbohydrates in our food. Also,we tend to consume a lot of sweets throughout the day which is something that a diabetic should avoid. Also, we believe in the myth that consuming jaggery is better than sugar, but the fact is chemically both sugar and jaggery have similar effects on ourbody.
- The second reason that increases the risk of diabetes is lack of exercise. Exercise acts as a medicine for diabetic patients. it’s very important for a diabetic or non-diabetic person to include exercise into the regime. one of the simplest forms of exercise is “Brisk Walking” orjogging.
- Diabetic patients should stay away from addictions (alcohol, tobacco etc) andstress
These are the preventive measures one should take in order to avoid diabetes but even after taking all these measures if diabetes is detected then the same preventive measure will help you to control your diabetes. If still, your sugar levels are on a higher level than its recommended to consult aspecialist.
The medicinal dosage might vary according to the patient’s condition. It’s recommended keeping track on your sugar level on a regular basis so thatthe doctor can prescribe an accurate dosage of medicine because uncontrolled sugar levels might affect body organs or parts like blockages incoronary
arteries, blockages in the arteries connected to the brain, effects on the retina which can cause blurry vision or might also lead to blindness.
High sugar affects the nerve cells causing loss of sensation in feet or burning sensation.
We can prevent the ill effects of diabetes to a great extent and if it can happen, we can treat it on time but it’s very important for a diabetic patient to do regular check-ups.
We should regularly check the following parameters:
- Annually Check-up: ECG, serum creatinine level, Lipid-profile, Dental check-up,Fundoscopy.
- Once in three months:HbA1c
- Daily: Diabetic person should daily check their own feet to check for sensation orinjury.
It’s crucial for a diabetes patient to have a disciplined routine in order to control the blood sugar levels. The patients should consider restrictions as a modification.