Uric acid is the waste product left out after the digestion of purine-rich foods. Uric acid is very common and can be treated with the help of natural remedies.
A rise in uric acid level in the body is known as hyperuricemia, which leads to several diseases like gout, which causes immense pain in the joints. If you see symptoms of hyperuricemia, please see a urologist or kidney specialist ASAP.
Let’s take a look at the common symptoms of Uric Acid.
Very few people suffering from uric acid feel the symptoms. However, due to the rise in the level of uric acid, the risk of developing several diseases increases, such as
- Gout- It affects the joints in your body. Developing severe pain in your joints, noticing swelling and redness, and feeling the stiffness of your joint are some of the symptoms of gout.
- Kidney stones- If uric acid is not treated well, it may build up kidney stones. Some of the symptoms of kidney stones include difficulty while urinating, nausea, pain in the abdomen or groin area, foul smell in your urine, blood coming out while urinating, and increased urge of urinating.
- Tophaceous gout- If you already have uric acid and are not treated, uric acid crystals transform into tophi lumps. Joint pain rises due to these and, in turn, leads to major damage to the joints.
Factors that can cause a uric acid rise in the body
The uric acid level rises when your kidney cannot get rid of the uric acid. Rich foods and alcohol are the major causes responsible for slowing down the removal of uric acid. Here are the factors that raise uric acid levels in your blood.
- Excessive intake of alcohol
- Taking a diet rich in Purine such as mushrooms, liver, sardines, gravy, and other foods
- Inherited from genes
- Drugs that suppress the immunity
- Vitamin B-3 or Niacin
Natural Ways to Reduce Uric Acid
There are various natural remedies to reduce uric acid in your home. Some of the natural remedies are listed below.
- Check the medicines – Aspirin, chemotherapy drugs, immune-suppressing drugs, vitamin B3, and diuretics are some of the medicines that raise the level of uric acid in your blood.
- Avoid taking stress – Less amount of exercise, stress and bad sleeping habits usually raise inflammation, which causes a high rise in the level of uric acid. Induce yoga and breathing exercises in your daily routine to help you cope with stress.
- Eat fibre-rich food – Adding more fibre to your diet plan can help to reduce the level of uric acid stored in your blood. Eat a minimum of 5 to 10 gms of fibre every day to help balance the insulin level of your body.
- Reduce your weight – Fat cells are responsible for developing more uric acid than muscle cells. Hence, it is very important to reduce your weight to lessen uric acid levels.
Have queries or concern ?
How is uric acid diagnosed?
You must consult a rheumatologist’s doctor immediately as soon as you notice any major uric acid symptoms. Your doctor may ask for a urine and blood sample to determine the proper functioning of the kidney. Your urine excretes uric acid. Hence, it can only be detected through a urine sample.
If a high uric acid level is found in your urine sample, the doctor may again ask for a 24-hour urine sample. The doctor usually makes a diet chart. Then the urine tests take place to ensure that your diet contains purine-rich foods. Your body cannot excrete uric acid, or your body is responsible for developing too much uric acid.
If you develop any gout symptoms, your doctor might want to test whether your joint contains ant fluid.
What foods must be avoided to prevent uric acid?
Changes in the diet can help remove uric acid from your blood faster. These changes can also help reduce gout attacks if your uric acid is connected to gout. The foods you must avoid are listed below.
- Red meats
- Wheat germ and bran
- Supplements of yeast
- Beans and lentils
- Sugary foods
- Spinach, mushroom, and peas
- Alcohol and beer
Exercises and dieting are the most important changes that must be done when you develop uric acid.
Whenever you see any major symptom of uric acid, you must always visit a doctor and get it treated. Else, it may lead to more serious diseases.
We at Sahyadri Hospital have expert and experienced rheumatologist doctors as well as orthopedic surgeons. We are one of the leading hospitals in Pune. Our hospital can always offer safe and successful treatment for any kind of expert advice or consultation on uric acid issues.
Great doctors, Good facilities, caring and helping staff. I recommend this hospital for day care services.
All doctors r very good. There treatments is best. Other staff also good. The service of nurses is great...Hospital is always clean.
All services provide by hospital are nice and on time. Doctors are polite and co-operative with patient.
All services provided by hospital is good. Hygiene maintained well.Even at night good care provided.