Breast cancer is a widespread concern affecting women worldwide, including India.
Understanding the different stages of breast cancer and the available treatment options is crucial, especially when diagnosed at an early stage like Stage 1.
In this article, we will delve into the specifics of Stage 1 breast cancer, its curability, and the various treatment options available to patients in India.
What is Stage 1 Breast Cancer?
Stage 1 breast cancer is an early stage where the tumour is still relatively small and has not spread to nearby lymph nodes or distant sites in the body. This stage is divided into two subcategories: Stage 1A and Stage 1B.
In Stage 1A, the tumour measures up to 2 centimetres in diameter and has not spread to the lymph nodes or other body parts. In Stage 1B, the tumour is either less than 0.2 centimetres in diameter and has spread to the lymph nodes, or it measures between 0.2 to 2 centimetres and has not spread to the lymph nodes.
Causes and Risk Factors
- Age and Gender: The risk of breast cancer increases with age, and it is more common in women than men.
- Family History: Having a close relative, such as a mother or sister, with a history of breast cancer can increase the risk.
- Genetic Mutations: Certain genetic mutations, such as BRCA1 and BRCA2, can significantly increase the risk of breast cancer.
- Hormonal Factors: Exposure to oestrogen for an extended period, early menstruation, late menopause, and hormone replacement therapy can increase the risk.
- Lifestyle Factors: Obesity, excessive alcohol consumption, and a sedentary lifestyle can increase the risk of breast cancer.
Diagnosis and Staging
Early detection plays a crucial role in the successful treatment of breast cancer. Regular screenings, including mammograms, clinical breast examinations, and self-examinations, can aid in the early detection of breast cancer.
Suppose a suspicious lump or abnormality is detected. In that case, further diagnostic tests, such as imaging scans, biopsies, and genetic testing, may be conducted to confirm the presence of breast cancer and determine the stage of the disease.
Staging helps classify the extent of cancer within the breast and whether it has spread to nearby lymph nodes or other parts of the body.
Read More: Cancer Treatment in Pune
Curability of Stage 1 Breast Cancer
The good news is that Stage 1 breast cancer is highly curable, with a favourable prognosis for many patients. The primary goal of Stage 1 breast cancer treatment is to eliminate the cancer cells and prevent the disease from recurring.
The five-year survival rate for Stage 1 breast cancer is estimated to be around 100%, meaning that most patients who receive appropriate treatment have a high chance of surviving beyond five years.
It is important to note that survival rates can vary depending on factors such as age, overall health, tumour characteristics, and individual response to treatment.
- Surgery: Surgical interventions, such as lumpectomy (removal of the tumour) or mastectomy (removal of the whole breast), are standard approaches for treating Stage 1 breast cancer. The choice of surgery may depend on the size and location of the tumour and the patient’s preferences.
- Radiation Therapy: Radiation therapy involves using high-energy radiation to destroy any remaining cancer cells after surgery. It is often recommended after a lumpectomy to reduce the risk of recurrence.
- Chemotherapy: In some cases, chemotherapy may be recommended for Stage 1 breast cancer, mainly if there is a high risk of cancer returning or if the tumour has specific aggressive characteristics. Chemotherapy uses medications to kill cancer cells or prevent their growth.
- Hormone Therapy: Hormone therapy may be prescribed if the breast cancer is hormone receptor-positive. This treatment involves blocking the effects of hormones such as oestrogen or progesterone, which can fuel the growth of cancer cells.
- Targeted Therapy: Targeted therapy targets the cancer cells’ unique features to prevent their growth and spread. This approach is typically used for tumours that overexpress specific proteins, such as HER2-positive breast cancer.
Patients need to have an open and honest discussion with their doctors to understand each treatment option’s potential benefits and risks. Personalised treatment plans tailored to individual needs can lead to better outcomes and improved quality of life.
Side Effects and Quality of Life
While Stage 1 breast cancer treatment aims to eliminate the disease, it can also bring about various side effects. Common side effects may include fatigue, hair loss, nausea, and changes in appetite.
It is important to discuss potential side effects with your healthcare team so that they can provide support and guidance on managing these effects effectively.
Breast cancer treatment can also impact a person’s emotional well-being and overall quality of life. It is essential to seek support from loved ones, join support groups, or consider counselling to address emotional challenges that may arise during this journey.
Survivorship and Follow-Up
After completing the initial treatment for Stage 1 breast cancer, it is crucial to maintain regular follow-up appointments with your healthcare team. These visits will involve physical examinations, imaging scans, and blood tests to monitor your progress and detect any signs of recurrence or new cancer.
In addition to medical follow-up, a healthy lifestyle can contribute to long-term survivorship. This includes maintaining a balanced diet, engaging in regular physical activity, managing stress, and avoiding tobacco and excessive alcohol consumption.
Understanding Stage 1 breast cancer and the available treatment options is empowering for individuals diagnosed with this early stage of the disease. With early detection and appropriate treatment, the outlook for Stage 1 breast cancer is generally favourable.
If you or someone you know is facing a diagnosis of Stage 1 breast cancer, remember that you are not alone. Seek support from your healthcare team, connect with support groups, and lean on your loved ones for guidance and encouragement throughout your journey.
Together, we can navigate the challenges of breast cancer and strive for a brighter, healthier future.
Great doctors, Good facilities, caring and helping staff. I recommend this hospital for day care services.
All doctors r very good. There treatments is best. Other staff also good. The service of nurses is great...Hospital is always clean.
All services provide by hospital are nice and on time. Doctors are polite and co-operative with patient.
All services provided by hospital is good. Hygiene maintained well.Even at night good care provided.