Diabetes is a chronic metabolic disorder that happens when the glucose level in your blood rises. There are mainly 3 types of diabetes- Type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes. Among these, the most common type of diabetes is type 2 diabetes. Diabetes is very well linked with insulin as well as diet. Once you get diabetes, you can control diabetes but you cannot get rid of it completely. Therefore, in order to control diabetes, you must make a diet chart or plan for a healthy diet. Figuring out the best foods to eat when you have diabetes is really tough. But your diet plays a major role in controlling and preventing diabetes.
Myths and facts about a diabetes diet
You must have heard various myths that roam around a diabetic person. There are several products like foods and fruit juices labeled “no added sugar”. Such products are mostly misleading as they can also raise the blood sugar level. Therefore, it is important to read the nutritional information for all kinds of foods. You need to check the amount of calories, carbohydrates, and natural sugars the product contains. Here are the myths and facts about a diabetes diet.
- White rice causes diabetes- Rice contains satiety. Hence, if it is accompanied by a nutritional dish like fish, eggs, vegetables, or mear, it can be a part of a balanced and healthy diet.
- Having only “suitable for diabetics” and “sugar-free” products can help to control diabetes- Diabetic patients are often provided with food products that have a “sugar-free” label. These foods contain less sugar but artificial sweeteners like sorbitol are used in such foods. Sorbitol is sometimes harmful to health as it creates an indigestion problem.
- Patients suffering from type 2 diabetes must stay away completely from chocolate or sweets- This is a very common myth. Patients with low blood sugar levels must avoid sugary treats but patients having good glycemic control should exercise caution while having these.
What are the guidelines for a diabetic diet?
As there are three different types of diabetes which are type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, and gestational diabetes, there is no single diet that can be appropriate for all people suffering from diabetes. A Diet plan depends on certain factors which include your gender, age, energy level, health condition, and weight. Here are some guidelines for a diabetic diet.
- Glycemic index
- Counting carbohydrates
- The plate method
Healthy eating with diabetes
Health care professionals and dieticians mostly agree that diabetic patients can take the same meals and foods that the other members of the family are eating. But some special attention should be put on the amount of meals consumed and the timing of the meals. If you want to follow a healthy diet, it is best to consume all types of food. Here is a list of healthy foods that you can consume to control diabetes.
- Fruits like strawberries and avocados
- Leafy green vegetables
- Chia Seeds
- Greek yogurt
- Nuts like cashews, walnuts, almonds,
- pistachios, and so on
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Shirataki Noodles
What are the foods that raise blood sugar levels?
Most diabetic patients are restricted from having carbohydrates as it raises the blood sugar levels in the body. This extent in the blood sugar level rises due to carbohydrates is known as glycemic index. Intake of foods that has a high glycemic index raises the glucose levels to a great degree. The high glycemic index foods include-
- Short grain white rice
- Russet potatoes
- Bagels and white bread
- Puffed rice cereal or corn flakes
- Saltline crackers, rice cakes, and pretzels
These are the few foods that must be avoided in order to control diabetes.
Diabetes increases the risk of several severe diseases if not managed properly. Maintaining a proper diet chart and eating healthy foods can help to keep insulin, blood sugar, and inflammation under control. This in turn will reduce the risk of complications. Though these foods can help to manage the blood sugar level, the most important factor in maintaining blood sugar is to follow a balanced and nutritious diet.
Great doctors, Good facilities, caring and helping staff. I recommend this hospital for day care services.
All doctors r very good. There treatments is best. Other staff also good. The service of nurses is great...Hospital is always clean.
All services provide by hospital are nice and on time. Doctors are polite and co-operative with patient.
All services provided by hospital is good. Hygiene maintained well.Even at night good care provided.