Home > Videos > Oncology > How to Detect Breast Cancer?

How to Detect Breast Cancer?

Breast cancer is a disease in which the cells in the breast grow out of control. The kind of breast cancer depends upon the cells in the breast which can turn into cancer.

However, breast cancer may occur in different parts of your breast. A breast is made up of three main parts, lobules, ducts, and connective tissue. The lobules are the glands that are responsible for producing milk. The ducts are the tubes that carry milk to your nipple. The connective tissue is responsible for surrounding and holding everything together. Most breast cancers may occur in your ducts or lobules.

Breast cancer is a very common disease in our country. Approximately, 15 to 20 percent of women in our country suffer from breast cancer.

Symptoms of breast cancer

Several symptoms indicate the signs of breast cancer:

  • Lumps in your breast – Certain lumps may occur in your breast. These lumps might not be painful and you may ignore them. Although, these lumps are more harmful and dangerous as these are acute signs of breast cancer. Whereas, the painful lumps are usually normal swellings and are not harmful.

If you are above 20 years of age and you’re observing any kind of lumps in your breast, make sure to consult your doctor immediately. Almost 95 percent of these lumps are not the signs of cancer but the rest 5 percent are the ones to be taken care of.

  • Change in shape or size of your breast – If you’re observing any kind of change or imbalance in your breast, make sure to immediately consult your doctor. However, if you observe lumps near your underarms, these can be signs of breast cancer.

If there is a blood-like discharge from the nipple of your breast, make sure to consult your doctor.

  • Redness in the nipple area or the breast – If you see any changes of color in your nipple or breast, then these can be the symptoms of breast cancer. In this case, do visit an oncologist immediately.

Have queries or concern ?

    Precautions and prevention of breast cancer

    Here are certain ways which will help you to prevent breast cancer:

    • Periodic breast examination – If you’re above 20 years of age, then make sure to visit a gynecologist, surgeon, or oncologist once a year for your breast examination. This will help you to determine whether there is any risk or chances of breast cancer.
    • Family history of breast cancer – If your family has a strong history of breast cancer, make sure to ask or consult your doctor as to when to proceed for a mammography or breast sonography. However, you must do mammography between the age of 40 and 50 years. In fact, the doctors will advise you to do mammography after every 2 years if you’re above 50 years of age.

    Mammography can detect and treat small lumps which measure up to 0.5 to 0.8 centimeters.

    Conclusion

    The above mentioned are certain ways and precautions which will help you in preventing the symptoms of breast cancer. However, these regular checkups which are also known as screening will prevent your chances of getting breast cancer.

    About Author

    dr-supriya-puranik

    Dr. Shona Nag

    Sr Medical Oncologist and Director Oncology Dept
    Contact: +91 88888 22222
    Email – ask@sahyadrihospitals.com

      Appointment Form




      For a quick response to all your queries, do call us.

      Patient Feedback

      Expert Doctors

      Emergency/Ambulance
      +91-88888 22222
      Emergency/Ambulance
      +91-88062 52525
      Call Now: 88888 22222