Angioplasty surgery is done to treat coronary artery disease and restore the blood flow in the body. In Angioplasty surgery, the doctors put a thin tube through the blood vessel containing a balloon at the end that helps push out the substances clotting the blood vessel.
Angioplasty can also be done in combination with stent placement. This combination helps reduce chest pain, breathing problems and reduce stroke risk.
How is Angioplasty Surgery performed?
The procedure to perform angioplasty might seem easy, but it is not that simple. While performing this surgery, doctors go through the following steps that are discussed below:
- The doctors insert a long, thin tube-like catheter in the crotch or wrist artery.
- The catheter is threaded into the affected artery using X-ray imaging.
- The surgeon then injects a liquid dye to check a blockage.
- Next, a catheter with a balloon is pushed through the first catheter and steered to the heart.
- The surgeon opens the balloon when the second catheter reaches its destination containing the blockage.
- After that, the balloon is removed along with the blockage.
- If required, the surgeon will then push another thin tube called the stent.
- This stent placement prevents the blockage’s re-growth and the narrowing of the artery.
- In the last stage, the catheter is successfully removed.
How serious is angioplasty surgery?
Angioplasty surgery is not considered major surgery and is usually performed under the supervision of good cardiac doctors. Unlike other surgeries, angioplasty has some risk factors that can be managed with proper care and medications. Some of the risk factors included are:
- Artery e-narrowing
- Blood clotting
- Internal Bleeding
- Swelling and soaring
- Breathing problem
- Allergic Reaction
- Damage of the Kidney
- Heart failure
- Stroke (Brain Attack)
- Irregular heartbeat or arrhythmia
Angioplasty may have risk factors, but they are not very common. It is a successful form of surgery, and 90% of cases have seen a positive impact after following this surgery. 30-40% of people have also successfully dealt with artery re-narrowing.
How is angioplasty beneficial after a Heart Attack?
The Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions says that performing angioplasty is highly beneficial after having a heart attack. A heart attack can happen for several reasons, but the main reason is blood clotting in the arteries. Therefore, angioplasty helps rebound the blood flow in the heart and the body or organs quickly. If not treated, it can create severe damages to your heart muscles.
When do you need angioplasty?
The doctor suggests angioplasty because of several reasons. Some benefits of performing Angioplasty surgery are:
- It helps to reduce chest pain.
- It helps to fight breathing problems.
- Angioplasty also deals with other heart failure factors.
- Angioplasty lowers the rate of blood clotting.
- It reduces the rate of mortality and heart muscle damage
- It reduces fatigue and improves the quality of life
- It improves kidney function
- This procedure also eliminates the need for amputation.
Have queries or concern ?
What are the measures suggested by the doctors after surgery?
Proper medication and exercise bring faster recovery from the surgery. Some things that your doctor will suggest you include:
- Avoid smoking and drinking
- Maintain the Cholesterol Level
- Follow a healthy lifestyle
- Eat a nutritious and balanced diet
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Follow the medications from time to time
- Do regular exercises or yoga as suggested by your doctor
Angioplasty is performed by a heart specialist (interventional cardiologist). Your care team will also include nurses and catheterization lab technicians. Angioplasty is a common form of surgery, and many people have gone through it, after which they have seen life from a different perspective again.
This form of surgery is highly beneficial to the body. The process can help you achieve a normal lifestyle. But make sure you take proper rest and care post-surgery. Also, take the prescribed medicines on time to avoid any complications.
Great doctors, Good facilities, caring and helping staff. I recommend this hospital for day care services.
All doctors r very good. There treatments is best. Other staff also good. The service of nurses is great...Hospital is always clean.
All services provide by hospital are nice and on time. Doctors are polite and co-operative with patient.
All services provided by hospital is good. Hygiene maintained well.Even at night good care provided.