Department Of Nutrition and Dietetics
The nutrition and dietetics department at Sahyadri Hospital is the one-stop solution for curing all kinds of health illnesses. We provide comprehensive care and diet service to both out-patients and in-patients. Our department focuses on increasing awareness among patients about the benefits of following nutrition and diet. The goal here is to promote a healthy lifestyle in people to cure and prevent disease. Moreover, the professionals help strengthening and developing healthy practices to encourage good health.
Quick Facts To Read Under Nutrition and Dietetics
Condition we treat
- Anorexia nervosa
- Bulimia nervosa
- Digestive Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Food Allergies and Intolerances
- Heart Health
- High Blood Pressure
- Kidney Disease
- Lactose intolerance
- Metabolic syndrome
- Overweight and Obesity
Services that we provide at Sahyadri
Our nutritionist collaborates with different healthcare departments like endocrinology and nephrology to ensure a faster recovery. They also work with oncology, cardiovascular disease, gastroenterology, critical care, etc., for better care. Nutrition therapy offered by our professionals plays a vital role in preventing complications and conditions of postoperative infections.
We have a team of high-trained dieticians who specialize in assessing the patient’s nutritional condition, calculate their requirements, and plan the diet according to it. Moreover, the hospital takes into account the quantity and quality of food that the patients are consuming. The different types of diet plan that Sahyadri offers are:
- Soft diet: This diet is easily digestible and soft, mainly recommended to those who can’t digest highly seasoned and regular textured food. It serves as an excellent help to people who have recently gone through surgery and recovering from the process.
- Regular or average diet: A regular or normal diet is a healthy meal plan that our healthcare professionals provide to people containing every variety of healthy food.
- Clear liquid diet: Clear liquid diet consists of a diet plan containing liquid only, i.e., broth, water, and plain gelatin. The patient consuming this do not face any problem digesting it or leaving any residue in the intestinal tract.
- Semisolid diet: The dietician mainly gives this type of diet four weeks before gastric bypass surgery. The diet plan will contain a high amount of protein, low fiber, fat, sugar, and calories.
- Full liquid diet: This diet contains only fluids and liquid food or foods that can change into liquid form when left at room temperature. This food diet is essential during a specific type of surgery or procedure.
- Anti-diarrheal diet: As an anti-diarrheal diet, the nutritionist may suggest you eat BRAT, i.e., Bananas, white Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. However, as you recover, the physician will replace it with high fiber food like whole grain.
- High fiber diet: The dieticians to help you with the stool problem may recommend a high fiber food diet. This diet plan will contain more fiber-rich food like vegetables, whole grains, and fruits. These are highly nutritious and prevent constipation.
- Bland diet: If you face many gastrointestinal issues, the doctor may recommend you to follow a bland diet. It will help you feel better from curing nausea, heartburn, diarrhea, and vomiting. It is also seen effective in changing lifestyle, reducing stress, and treating ulcers.
- Low fiber diet: To cure the problems like IBS, ulcerative colitis, and other such diseases, the nutritionist may find it fit to provide you with a low fiber diet plan. It mainly includes white bread, white flour, white rice, potatoes without skin, eggs, dairy products, etc.
- Onco diet: It is a balanced diet plan specially designed for cancer patients. It includes an adequate amount of water, fruits, vegetables, and whole grain.
- Hepatic diet: The dietician provides this type of diet plan mainly to individuals suffering from hepatic conditions like liver injury, cirrhosis, and encephalopathy. This diet plan will particularly include herbal supplements, vitamins, and minerals for curing the disease.
- Renal Diet: People suffering from compromised kidney function gets tremendous benefit from following a renal diet. The diet helps them to cut down a lot of waste and promote kidney function. The plan has high-quality of proteins and low in sodium, phosphorus, and protein.
- Pre-operative: Pre-operative diet mainly includes a large amount of protein shakes and low-calorie food that are easily digestible. However, it will contain a mostly liquid or only-liquid diet. If the dietician finds it fit, he may also include some solid in the plan.
- Postoperative diet: Postoperative diet mainly contains four types of diet stages. How quickly you will pass from one stage to another will depend on the dietician. He will analyze your health condition and suggest you liquid diet, pureed diet, soft diet, and stabilization.
Apart from this, the dietician also provides the patient a discharge diet to ensure the recovery is faster and better.
Which diseases does this department help cure?
Our highly trained dieticians and nutritionists provide solutions to the following problem:
Obesity is a very common problem nowadays. It is a complex disease where an excessive amount of body fat starts getting stored and eventually causes problems. It either increases the risk of other diseases or causes diabetes, heart problem, cancer, and high blood pressure. The only way that you can treat the problem is through a proper diet plan and regular exercise.
It is a disease that develops when the amount of glucose present in your blood increases, causing blood sugar. Blood glucose comes from the food you eat and is the main content that provides energy to the body. The glucose releases from the food with the help of insulin and gives you the power to do work. But sometimes, the body is unable to make enough insulin. As a result, the glucose remains in the blood, causing health issues. This problem has no solution, but you can manage this through a healthy diet.
3. Weight gain
Fluctuation in weight can be because of multiple reasons. Some people gain weight excessively while others don’t. It can be because of age or change in the way of living. However, sometimes it can be an early sign of underlying health problems like heart, kidney, or thyroid problem. A very beneficial way to improve the condition and control your weight is through a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet.
Cancer is a very broad term that generally arises because of the rapid or uncontrollable growth of cells. As a result, it forms a tumor or leukemia. It can damage the immune system and can spread very quickly if not treated. To treat the condition, you often need to go through chemotherapy, but along with it, it’s also essential for you to maintain your diet and lifestyle.
5. Pediatric diet
The food plan of kids must contain an adequate amount of carbohydrates, vitamins, fat, mineral, and protein for proper growth. There are different guidelines on how much amount of fruits, vegetables, and dairy products the child should take at a particular age, which will help ensure proper development of his/her brain and height.
6. Kidney disease
People who suffer from kidney problems are unable to clean the blood efficiently, filter an extra amount of water and cause trouble in producing red blood cells. So for treating the problem, it is essential to keep a balance of minerals and water infusing in the blood, which you can control through a planned diet.
Anemia is a health problem that arises because of a decrease in the amount of hemoglobin or red blood cells in the blood. Moreover, it may also develop because of the reduced ability of the blood to transport oxygen. The main symptoms you may see during the problem are shortness of breath, fatigue, weakness, and inability to exercise. It is imperative to plan a diet that contains more iron, folate, and vitamin during the condition.
8. Cardiac disease
Cardiac diseases include all those problems that affect the heart’s structure and function like aorta disease, abnormal heart rhythm, DVT, etc. The condition may differ, but the treatment is the same. Along with proper medication and medical procedures, it is crucial to maintain a healthy lifestyle with a good food diet and regular exercise.
Why should you choose Sahyadri Hospital?
The department of Nutrition and Dietetics at Sahyadri Hospital is well equipped with professional staff and trained specialists who offer integrated and comprehensive care to every patient. They know how a diet plan can help improve the patient’s health condition and are also focused on educating you of the benefits. Apart from this, the professional will help patients modify their food intake according to their condition, weight, age, and all the other essential factors. Every professional from our team are progressive and utterly dedicated to providing quality life to both in-patient and out-patient.
Nutrition and Dietetics Experts Doctors at Sahyadri Hospitals
We thank you for choosing Sahyadri Hospitals for your treatment. Your feedback is our achievement. We have taken a number of steps to ensure that the services rendered to you are fully met.
I have been coming regulatly to this hospital for the last 2 years and have never been disappointed with the level of care, professionalism and efficiency I have witnessed. All the doctors are brilliant and well versed in their fields.
My self admitted to Sahyadri super speciality hospital from Kothrud on 17/03/21 & the admission process made so fast. All the Doctors , Nurces and all staffs are very cooperative and taking care personally so I feel at home.
The treatment and care received from the doctors and staff has helped my father recover sooner. Doctors provided a timely counselling everyday and kept us up to date on the condition and the progress made.
One of the best hospitals in Pune.. Exceptionally great service provided by the Staff, Day Care Team, Dialysis & Billing Department☺️.. Sisters / Doctors / Admin are extremely polite and down to earth and always helpful🙏.
Experienced excellent service other than other branch management and service is good and also nursing services and no rush in this hospital and we are very much trust and respect about Sona Nag Mam.